5/14/09

Then God said... And that is what happened

In Genesis chapter 1 we find the story of creation. In the New Living Translation you see a reoccurring theme: "Then God said... And that is what happened." Since the beginning of creation God has been saying things and then they have happened.

Too often we let circumstances determine what we believe. If all of creation obeyed and was created by what God said, then why not believe him at His word? I know for me, circumstances and life distort my perception of what God said and I begin to "look" instead of live. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (NIV) says, "we live by faith not by sight." When we "look" instead of live by faith we forget what God has said and this creates tremendous fear of our current situation.

  • God said: "I will supply all your need." Philippians 4:19
  • God said: "By my stripes you are healed." Isaiah 53:5
  • God said: "I did not spare my own Son, so wont I give you everything else? Romans 8:32
  • God said: "Ask and it will be given to you." Matt 7:7
  • God said: "If you lack wisdom ask me and I'll give it to you." James 1:5
  • God said: "The righteous will not be forsaken, nor will their children beg for bread." Psalm 37:25
  • God said: "I have not given you a spirit of fear, but one of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7

What has God said to you lately? For your life, "then God said," that is what will happen. I'm getting my eyes off of my circumstances and life and getting my believe on the word of God. God has said he will take care of me and my family, therefore that is what will happen.

Take a moment today to consider your current state. Are you "looking" or living by faith? Has what God said become distorted in your life? Are you fearful of your current situation? Are your eyes telling you something different than what your heart knows to be the truth?

If your answers are contrary to faith, take a moment to pray this prayer.

"Father, forgive me for letting my circumstances dictate what I believe. I know that your Word is the truth. I believe that what you have said for my life will happen. Strengthen me to fight for my faith today. Give me peace to walk through this temporary situation. In Jesus name I pray, AMEN!"

Now go live by faith and not by sight!

No comments: