3/3/09

9 Things I don't have time for... Prejudice

I checked out what the official definition of prejudice is and here is what Dictionary.com had to say for it:
  • An unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
  • Any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
  • Unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
When we think about prejudice we often think about bullet point number three. Obviously I don't have time for that stuff. That is detrimental to human society as a whole and in Christ (Gal 3:28) there is neither Jew nor Greek (racial and national prejudice), nor male or female (Gender prejudice).

I'm talking about a more sutle and often accepted form of prejudice. The kind of prejudice where we look at someone and by what we see we have a preconceived opinion about them either positive or negative.

For instance, someone walks into the church dressed in the best clothes money could buy and instantly we think, "wow, they've got it together. I want to meet them." Or someone walks in and they appear to be wearing clothes that have never been washed and we think, "Oh God, please don't let them sit by me."

Prejudice. Deciding who we will reach out to, sit by, talk with without know at all the content of that persons character and heart, or the situation they find themselves in. Prejudice can drive people out of the church faster than anything else.

I don't have time for it. Every person who walks across our path can benefit from the love that is within us. I don't have time for it so apply the following in my interaction with people.
  1. Look - I don't look at someone and see Armani or Value Village. When I look at other people I see a person who is loved by, made by and paid for the same God who loved me, made me and paid for me through his death. Even though we are preprogrammed to judge by appearance fight it and look the way God looks. QUESTIONS: How do you look at people? Do you formulate and opinion and move forward or do you recognize the value in each person God has made?
  2. Love - Love does not see with natural eyes, but rather the eyes of a God who died for us. Love fights the natural urges to judge by appearance, hygiene and attitude. Love pushes past it all, breaks down the walls and cares about others. Love conquers prejudice. QUESTIONS: Who do you love? Do you love the person standing on the side of the road asking for a hand out like God loves you? Would you be willing to lay down your life for them?
  3. Listen - In listening you may find you have more or less in common with that person you had a preconceived opinion about. You may be the answer that person has been looking for. You may have the tools and skills they need for success. You may be the one who brings freedom to their life. Listen to them. They may be more broken or whole than they appear.
Prejudice - Unfair and unsubstantiated opinions about someone based on something external. I'm interested on what's happening inside of someone not how they look. I don't have time for prejudice and neither should you!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

VERY good post PT!