3/19/08

MHS Soccer

Last night Andrew Chavez invited me to his soccer game verses Lake Stevens at LSHS. I showed up a little late because I got lost (I live in Lake Stevens, but know little of where anything is). When I arrived he was on the sideline because of a face injury. From what I gathered he got kicked in the face protecting the goal (he's a goalie) and had to be pulled out of the game for liability reasons. There was a fear that he broke his nose, which after seeing the swelling and bruising, he may have :-), better follow up with that. It was a lot of fun watching the game and with about eight minutes left Austin Cohn (Jaisa's brother) kicked the winning goal for Monroe. It was awesome kudos and congrats to Austin. The team is now 2-0-1, two wins and one tie and may be in first place.

Playing sports is an incredible experience. I played baseball for 12 years, wrestled for three and played football for one. It taught me discipline, hard work and team work. I have tons of stories and memories of wins and losses that I will cherish for a life time.

One thing I admire tremendously about Andrew Chavez is that while he lives, eats and breathes soccer, it always comes second to his relationship with God and church. I've seen Andrew show up for church and events tired and worn out from a game, but unwilling to miss what God has for him. In today's sports crazy society it's difficult to keep the proper priorities in tact, but fight for it and you'll have stories, memories, friendships and possible scholarships and the character to back all of it up!

No comments: