4/1/08

I Heart (love) People


That list above is intense. I know in my life I've struggled to love some of these types of people. In Matthew 5:44 Jesus commands us to love our enemies and pray for those that treat us like garbage. What do you do when there is somebody you can’t love? We’ve all got people in our lives that are difficult to love, yet true Christ followers love people.

You’ve heard it said that you should hate those who do wrong to you or to the ones you love, but what do you say?

In John Chapter 8 Jesus is presented with a you’ve heard it said that, but what do you say kind of question and his response is the model for our life if we are going to truly love people. The woman caught in adultery is cast at his feet and religious people of the day want to kill her because she has been labeled as an "adulteress." Jesus looked past the label and saw a person and loved her. He says(in the new Travis translation), whoever has never been labeled as a "sinner" cast the first stone. One by one the stones were dropped and the religious left. Jesus turns to the woman and tells her he doesn't condemn her and to go and leave her life of sin.

All those types of people and words above are just labels. If we'll peel back the labels we'll see people that need to be loved. Because Christ loved me when I was cast at His feet and labeled a sinner, I can drop my rocks of anger, hurt, and fear and love all people. I can look past the label and love the people.

You've heard it said that all Christians are intolerant, but this Christian loves people. You've heard it said that all Christians are intolerant, but what do you say? Label or love?

1 comment:

TeishaW said...

This was a great message. i wrote all about it on my blog. but somethng just happend to my blog that is really stange and upsetting. a couple of my posts were erased, long story, but i am SO sad because now i have to re-write them. and i can not remember all of the details and the stuff that i wrote, so there is no way to get it back. but it was a awesome message. i should be able to remember most of what i said in my blog. wish me luck! :(