4/17/08

The Spice of Life



Today I had a post-vacation-let's-get-together-and-discuss-all-that-is-going-on-meeting (wow that is the longest hyphenated word ever) and it lasted for 5 and 1/2 hours!!! You might be thinking wow I'm really sorry you had to endure such hardship, let me bake you a fresh batch of chocolate cookies and bring them to your office tomorrow but...

It was probably the greatest meeting I have ever been in and I didn't even realize that it was that long. In fact I would have stayed for another 5 and 1/2 hours because of three things. The meeting had the spice of Life:
  1. Passion
  2. Value
  3. Accomplishment
Every person in the room was passionate about what was being discussed. Voices were raised, hand gestures were enlarged and pulses quickened, not out of anger, but PASSION for the subjects being discussed. Recently I read a book "Death by Meeting" and one way for people not to die in your meetings is for there to be passion.

I felt like I had an opportunity to use my gifts to add value to the conversation and the organization. I felt that my opinion mattered and that sharing it would add value to the organization. That my words would not just be listened to but ultimately put into practice. This was the same for everyone in the room. Others opinions and words were valued and will ultimately be put into practice.

At the end of the meeting we tackled two very, very, very, very difficult questions and had an answer. After 5 and 1/2 hours we accomplished something. We didn't just talk, get excited, feel valued and go home, no we accomplished something.

I believe these three ingredients make up the spice of life. If in your job you don't have passion, value and accomplishment then you should reevaluate what you do.

We need a life full of passion, a life where we add value to our job, family, church, and a life where we feel a sense of accomplishment. If you are lacking in the spice of life, find it and live it to the fullest!

No comments: