7/30/08

Be Holy...

Read: Romans 12:1-2; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Peter 1:15-16; Ephesians 1:4, 1 Corinthians 1:2.

"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." 1 Peter 1:15-16

I've had a lot of people ask me how do you hear the voice of God? I've also heard a lot of people say that they desire the presence of God in their life. So how do you have God's presence and hear his voice? Read these scriptures:

Rom 12:1-2
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. 2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Without holiness no one will see the Lord - Heb 12:14

These scriptures tell us that it is holiness in our lives that will allow us to hear God (know His will for us) and see Him in our life. God commands us to be Holy as He is holy! Holiness is not a set of regulations. It's not do this, don't do that, but rather it is becoming more like Christ. Every time you obey the voice of God you become more holy.

Like I said I cannot give you a list of do's and dont's that are not in the bible, that would be religion, but holiness will cost you. To be holy God will eventually ask you to give up different types of media. This will allow you to become more like Him and will allow more time for Him to speak to you.

I look at it this way. The media I let in my life is a voice. Depending on how much I watch, listen too and see depends on how loud that voice is in my life. Well God has a voice too! From 1 Kings 19:12 we know that His is a still small voice. If our life is consumed with all these other voices how are we going to have the time and the quietness to hear God's voice?

Holiness is also a revelation. As you go on your journey in this Christian life God will reveal to you the level of holiness that He wants you to walk in. I honestly believe that there is a perfect level of holiness for you to walk in right now. I believe people can try and be holy which leads to religion and pride because it's on your own strength and therefore they cannot be used by God, nor will they hear Him. And other people are not holy enough, so they cannot be used by God, nor hear Him in their life.

If you are wondering if you are holy enough or not, go to God and ask Him. Ask God if there is anything in your life that is holding you back and be willing to give it up. He may want you to give up R rated movies, or secular music or something. Ask Him and He will tell you. You can only be as holy as God has revealed to you and given you the power to be.

If you are a student you need to obey God and your parents. If your parents say no more of this music or TV show, don't tell them that God hasn't spoken that to you. Parents are the voice of God in our lives. Hear and obey and you will hear God!

Prayer: Lord make me holy as you are holy! Give me a greater revelation of your holiness and the power to walk in it. I want to hear your voice and be in your presence.

No comments: