8/1/08

It may not be sin, but...

Read: Proverbs 3; 1 Corinthians 6:9-12, 10:23-24.

Media, Media, Media *sigh*. When you start talking about the music people listen to, the TV shows and movies they watch, and the online social networks they are a part of people can get really crazy. They can accuse you of being religious, old school, and many other things.

The reason I'm doing these posts is because these principles have brought me to where I am today. A place where I'm hungry for God, I hear His voice often daily and I am fulfilled. If you read these posts in their entirety you see that they are not a list of do's and dont's but a heart and attitude one must have to "see God."

When talking about choices in Media I want to present another argument. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:12 NLT, "You,say I am allowed to do anything - but not everything is good for you." In other words your choices of music, TV, and movies may not be sin but... They're probably not good for you.

I mentioned in an earlier post that in order to hear God's voice we've got to turn off the other voices (sounds like a crazy person :-). Too much intake of all the stuff that's out there is not healthy to your spirit. You need a balance. In fact the more of the Spirit you allow into your life and the less media or world you take in the better.

It may not be sin to listen to rap music or the top 40, but it's not good for you. It may not be sin to watch your favorite TV show, but depending on what it is and about it's not good for you. It may not be sin for you to watch the latest movie, but depending on what it is and about, it's not good for you.

There comes a time in your life where you have to decide, do I want to be entertained, or do I want to engage God's plan for my life. This again doesn't mean no music, TV or movies. It means that if you are sacrificing your holiness in the name of entertainment... Houston we have a problem.

It's time to make a choice. The choice that you are willing to give up anything to go up with God. It's time to set some standards in your life. Standards that say I will or will not allow this kind of stuff into my head. It may not be sin, but it's not good for your spiritual health.

Prayer: Help me to know what you want and do not want me to have in my life. Search me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooo glad you posted this, it's going to help a lot. Thank You :-)

Travis said...

Teisha,

You are welcome! Thanks for reading it!